Pieter Hugo & Linda Melvern, Rwanda 2004 Vestiges of a genocide

Published 2011 by Oodee, got this one during Offprint

Kigali international airport              There was a hurried exit. Over a period of four days, starting on 9 April 1994, some 3900 people of 22 nationalities left Rwanda with the help of European troops flown in for that purpose. The United Nations agencies, the aid and development agencies, co-operation missions and embassies shut their doors as the diplomats and western technical, training and expert advisers left Rwanda.

Grave in a latrine, Nyamata               Corrugated iron sheeting barely conceals a latrine hole into which approximately 56 bodies were thrown. Some people were buried in secluded places while others were left lying where they fell.

Clothes hanging, Murambi technical college              People fled in the clothes they were wearing and took little with them; survivors wore the same clothes for months. Many victims were buried naked after their clothes were looted. These bloodied rags belonged to the victims of the massacre at Murambi, where an estimated 40000 people were killed after having sought sanctuary at the hill-top technical college.

Emmanuel Mugangira, Murambi technical college               Today Murambi is one of the six national memorial sites. The caretaker, Emmanuel Mugangira, unlocks the doors of the classrooms and dormitories. They are filled with human remains. His family was killed here : his wife, his five children - the eldest 13 years old - his eight brothers and sisters. “Those who perpetrated the genocide sometimes say that nothing happened here”, says Mugangira.

Bodies covered in lime, Murambi

Salon de coiffure, La Mignore, Kigali               During the genocide, murals on the walls of hairdressing salons were defaced because they showed people who were considered to look like Tutsi. In Kabgayi, Gitarama, a statue of the Virgin Mary was destroyed for the same reason.

Ntarama catholic church               The church at Ntarama was a traditional sanctuary - people had fled there during previous attacks on Tutsi. The massacre took place on the morning of 15 April, after several hundred attackers including soldiers, gendarmes and Interahamwe carrying machetes, spears and clubs had arrived by bus from Kigali. The provincial governor of the Kigali-Rural Prefecture, François Karera, was later held criminally responsible for having instigated and participated in the extermination of the people in Ntarama Church.

After the massacre it was impossible to enter the church because so many corpse were piled behind the door. The view through the window showed bodies on top of each other and strewn among the pews. Later, some of them were eaten by wild dogs and vermin; eventually only personal possessions and bones remains.

Kigali Memorial center               Since the memorial center was established, it has been subjected to two grenades attacks, in one of which a policeman was killed. The centre has subsequently been given 24-hour armed protection.

The view over lake Kivu from the catholic church and home St Jean complex, Kibuye               An uncountable number of people were drowned in rivers and lakes which were also used to dump rotting bodies. Evidence of genocide was there for the world to see as bloated bodies were swept downstream and out of Rwanda to emerge in the rivers and lakes of neighbouring countries. Bodies were washed up on shorelines sometimes with heads and legs missing. Some women had their children still strapped to their backs.

  1. penguinist reblogged this from oneyearofbooks
  2. oneyearofbooks posted this